Thursday, November 11, 2010

Understanding Arundhati Roy on Kashmir


By P. Chacko Joseph


October 26th, 2010
Frontier India

When I was a kid, my father had annual leave to go to wherever he wishes. Normally, he would choose to go to his home in Kerala. For me it was the dreaded month of the year. Take a train to Kerala where there was hardly any electricity, mosquito and other insect bites, trying to talk in Malayalam and worse to eat Kerala Fat Rice. I admit there were joys too. The Kerala Porrota and egg pattice were my favorite things. I have / had a cousin too. We have had many arguments together. The first ever was when he told me that sun revolves around Kerala. I asked him how? He then traced out with his finger pointing up in the sky on how sun rose and how it set down. I told him it rises similar way in the place my father was posted. And it has been same in the places I had been with him. He explained that, what I saw was sun from far rising and setting in Kerala. I had another doubt. I asked him if it goes the other way, then there must be another place behind Kerala. He told me that the place was empty.

I held the belief, until I got to study solar system. I was devastated. I challenged my cousin during my next annual leave. He told me that this is what I get via capitalistic system of education. Unfortunately for him, he too had the similar geography book on his table. He reasoned that if he does not write the same things in the book, the capitalistic system wouldn’t let him pass. This was the second time heard the word “Capitalistic.” So, I asked him what it was. He explained that an imperialistic country America dictated what we studied. True, those days American hand and profits were bad words.

Next trip, he told me was how Indian ministers were bought by imperialistic America. Especially Morarji Desai and Indra Gandhi. He said the only way to save India was via communism. He spoke passionately about his Chairman Mao. Here, I differed. I said its an enemy country. He said I was foolish. He gave me 3 scenarios. China should capture US; Communist should take over India; or India should be divided into small countries. This is the only way forward he said.

Next time, he said that “You know, kerala politics directly effects US politics!” I was laughing uncontrollably.

Slowly, as we both matured, I used to give him solid arguments back. For example, “I will buy you a ticket to your fatherland China.”

Once he showed me some chocolates his UNGLE (uncle) brought from Gulf. I told him that Mars and M&M were from imperialistic US. He should not eat it and I can make a sacrifice by eating it for him. He said that, since his UNGLE brought it from Gulf, its ok, he can eat it.

But, as I grew up, and came in contact with other Keralites, I realised that I was up against some kind of romanticism. Also, they say that every Kerala child is born with a red (communist) flag in the hand. I stopped arguing. Besides, me and my cousin got busy with our own lives. He was practicing Law as I last heard.

Similarly, on yahoo chat (late 1990), I went into a mallu chat room. I introduced myself as from Dubai. The mallu crowd was on me with words like paradesi and other unmentionable words. The funny part was, I told them that I can get people visas to Dubai and every one changed the tune. I was a chat room hero.

People like Arundhati Roy have grown in this kind of environment. They live in their own fantasy land that mix with communist ideas. Just that this one is famous, got some money from imperialist publisher (like my cousins UNGLES chocolates) and a mike to talk into. Arundhati just mouthed off what could be an “average Kerala talk.” The kind when they discuss politics.

This talk is no different from CPI (M) support for china or Baglihar Dam. You can understand why Prakash Karat and Arundhati Roy are so famous in Srinagar. These people have been picked up by the powers that be for their idiocracy.

1 comment:

MySiteMalixi System Development said...

Nice Post!
I would like to know more about your blog. You may also visit my blog and tell me what you think.